ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

So I picked up a smoker at a flea market for $5. I've always wanted to get one and without knowing anything, I laid down the 5 beans to start my journey.

This is a photo of my new smoker. It's a Char-Broil H2O Smoker. 

Of course there are no instructions, so I have done some research, but wanted to ask some of the ALEiens how they do it.

This smoker has 2 pans. I am guessing one is for Charcoal and the other is for Water. Once I get my charcoal burning, I add in my wood. This is where I read 20 different things on the web.

I bought Apple Wood Chips, I hear chunks are better. Some say they soak the chips over night, others just for 30 minutes. What are your opinions?

Also, what is a good first meat to smoke? I am looking at trying a Pork Shoulder for making pulled pork. Recipes seemed easy enough. Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Jeff

PS, Yes I created a whole category on the forum dedicated to BBQ and Smokers, so post your BBQ recipes and photos here. 

Views: 5000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So here is a photo set of my first smoke. The pulled pork sandwiches tasted awesome.

The Boston Butt
8.5 lbs

My Brine Mix
Salt, Brown Sugar, Paprika, Garlic, Some other Stuff

Soaking in the Brine

The Rub
Just used Dave's Famous Rub.

In Action

The Results

I have some more photos over on my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jefflouella/sets/72157624284068252/

Overall it was a fun time. Took a little over 12 hours, but it came out amazing. Slow and Low baby!
Jeff, that looks delicious!!! I'm hungry, how about making me up a sandwich and bring it over the shop.

Did you do up a blog on the whole process? If yes, where do I find it. I'll have to break out my smoker and try to use it now. Next time you are in the shop, I will have to pick your brain on the whole process.

Paul
Never did a blog post. Just too busy. So this is they best I did. There may be more info on the page on Flickr.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: