ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Has anyone had any experience using dried figs in the fermenter. I am fermenting a Belgian Dark and when fermentation slows, I will be adding some Dark Candi Sugar and Figs. I bought some dried turkish figs from the supermarket. Some brands seemed to add Potassium Sorbate to preserve. The ones I picked up have no preservatives. I plan on chopping them up and steeping them in a small amount of hot water to sanitize and rehydrate.

Has anyone done this? Are Turkish Figs any better or worse than Mission Figs?

Views: 1306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So I contacted Sean Paxton (http://www.homebrewchef.com/) about this. He uses dry mission figs in his Monk's Blood recipe. He agreed with my plan and added some comments, this is what I did.

I cut up the Black Mission Figs into 4's and put them into a small pot. I added just enough water to cover them. I brought the water up to 160-170 degrees and kept it there for 15 minutes to sanitize. The hot water also helps pull some of the sugars out of the figs. I also added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a sliced bourbon vanilla bean to the concoction. The aroma was amazing. I let the let the mixture cool a little and poured it into the fermentor.

I added the Candi sugar 2 nights before. I am doing this all in the primary. I waited until primary fermentation started to slow down. When I added the Candi Syrup, Fermentation went nuts. 2 days later that slowed, then added the figs. I will be adding Pectic Enzymes to help break and haze the fruit puts off. I will then cold crash and put into a keg. In the end I am expecting a nice Belgian dark that is about 7%. Nothing too big.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: