ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Now that the colder weather is starting to move, I am finally able to use some equipment that I've had:

1 x Stopper thermowell = http://morebeer.com/view_product/16672/102282/Stopper_Thermowell
1 x Ranco digital contorller = http://morebeer.com/view_product/16666//Ranco_Digital_Temperature_C...

While it clearly states that the stopper thermowell is compatible with the FE610 controller, the sensor for the unit does not fit into the thermowell. It only sticks inside maybe 1/8-1/4" while the rest of the sensor sticks out and actually reads more of the air temperature than the inside of the thermowell.

Does anyone use both of these and any recommendations on how I can get it to work?

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use a Johnson A419 with the Stopper thermowell and it fits all the way down. It may be worth looking into a different probe: http://www.brewershardware.com/Ranco-Temperature-Sensors/

What size carboy are you using? Even though the stopper is "universal" it can easily slip and fall into a 6.5 carboy. (Trying to figure out how to get it out of one right now)
That sensor should slide right down to the bottom of the thermowell. (Maybe the thermowell is slightly deformed or crimped) If the sensor doesn't get to the bottom easily, call morebeer and tell them what's up. They're pretty good at sending out replacement parts free of charge.
Thanks for the info guys, after this primary is done I'll check out the thermowell closer to see if its dinged up and I'll give morebeer a call to see what they can do for me.
I stopped using the Thermowell. Just something else to clean and worry about sanitation on. I tape my probe to the side of the carboy. I don't put tape on the actual probe though. I stick a piece of tape to the cord to hold it there. I think take 2 paper towls, fold them like 5 times so it becomes thick, then tape the wad over the probe. I am just trying to have the probe not be exposed to air. I find that this give me a very close reading and I don't have to worry about a thermowell.

I grabbed this image off the web.

+1

I do the same thing as Jeff. My thermowell is in a box sitting on a shelf somewhere.
Hmmm well maybe that's what I'll try when I get home tonight. I talked to morebeer folks and they recommended I use fine sandpaper to sand down some of that covering thats on the end of the probe. But this I can get setup tonight after I walk in the door. Thanks guys!

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: