ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hello folks,

As some of you know, I am a big fan of the Aecht Schlenkerla Raucbiers, and have been playing around with some recipes for a while.


My last attempt fell short of my "smoke" goal, even though I used 95% smoked malt from Weyermann:

12.00 lb Smoked Malt (Weyermann) @ PHB (2.0 SRM) Grain 95.05 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.98 %
0.25 lb Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.98 %
0.13 lb Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Lager

The result was somewhat disappointing both in body/maltiness and smoke flavor. 


As has been suggested to me, I will try raising the mashing temp from 150-153 (it drops a few degrees over the course of the mashing) and a bit higher to something like 153-156.


I'm thinking of reducing the amount of smoked malt in favor of increasing the Carafa II and Munich II a bit, while reducing the total grain bill to aim for a somewhat lower OG beer (don't need all those calories).  I'm also going to trim down the last hop addition to help bring out the malt and smoke nose by itself.


Here's my "new" recipe:


9.50 lb Smoked Malt (Weyermann) @ PHB (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.61 %
1.25 lb Munich II (Weyermann) @ PHB (8.5 SRM) Grain 10.87 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.25 lb Carafoam (Weyermann) @ PHB (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.90 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Lager



If anyone has suggestions for adjustments or improvements, I'd love to hear them!






PS: Sorry Mike for getting some chili ale flavor in the Xmas Xchange bottle.  I was in too much of a hurry when I bottled them right before leaving for the meeting...  :)

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks good but I'd change the hop additions around a little; nothing late.  I don't think you'd want any hop aroma messing with the smoke.  I'd try to get about 30 - 35 IBU with a 1.055 gravity.


2oz @60min for 25 IBU

1oz @30min for 9.6 IBU


If your gravity is higher than 1.055 try to keep the bitterness to gravity ratio in the same range.  At 1.055 and 35 IBU your ratio is 0.64 (35/55  = 0.64).  If your gravity is 1.065 you'll want to increase the IBUs to 41.


If you had mouthfeel issues at a 153F mash temp, I'd go 5 degrees higher and start at 158F this time.  I don't know for sure but the smoke and mouthfeel problem may also be related to your mash pH.  Do you measure this?  I use these colorpHast pH strips.


Just looked at the style.  I'm a little high on IBU.  If you were happy with the bitterness in your previous attempt, shoot for the same IBU but get rid of the 15 minute addition (increase 60 min if needed).  Also, stay around 1.055 for the gravity.


Looking forward to tasting this one!  (please?)  ;)

Thanks Scott!


I use pH5.2 when heating the mash and strike water - whenever I can actually remember to put it in.  I've measured my tap water once, and I think it was around 5.8 or so without adding the pH5.2.


I made the hop adjustments as you suggested and the calculated IBU (BeerSmith) comes to 34.7 with a ratio of 0.646.  The BJCP guideline for style 22A - Classic Rauchbier has the goal at 20-30IBUs - do you think I should scale back the early addition a little?



I've had bad luck with the 5.2 stabilizer.  A lot of score sheets (different beers/different judges) came back that described a "salty and mineral" flavor.  Maybe I was using too much (the recommended dose).  Some say to just use half but I've stayed away from it since then.  After I stopped, I picked up more ribbons.


Yes, I was high with the IBUs (see my second post above).  You can scale back the first addition.




What do you use to adjust the pH - if anything?  Or do you compensate during the mashing process?


(I know I could be in for an extended water analysis & treatment post here, but I'm lovin' it! :)

In my old place (and for the styles I was brewing - on the yellow side), I didn't have to adjust my water for pH.  I did have to add sulfate to the boil for hoppy beers.


I have well water at my new place and the water has a lot of bicarbonates.  I can make some nice stouts but for paler beers the mash pH would end up way too high even when adding calcium (sulfate and/or chloride) to the mash.  On top of the brewing salts, I have to add about 10ml of Lactic acid (depending on the grain bill) to get the pH down to 5.2 - 5.3.


































The Hulmeville Inn Feed

© 2020   Created by Jeff Louella.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service