ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this year again I will pick up entries at Paul's shop (Wine, Barley & Hops) for this competition. The entry deadline is Thursday the 13th, so I will pick up entries on Wednesday the 12th about 6:00 P.M. and drop them off at Keystone in Montgomeryville the following day. Good luck to all that enter.

Rick

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a style is big enough (the IPA category had 38 entries), you have about 3 teams of judges. Some teams score higher than others. Then each team puts their top 2 or 3 up for mini best of show. From there, the judges all team up for the winner. You may have been #1 in your group, but #5 over all. Plus in the IPA category it depends what number in the order you are. If you are #7 out of 10 and #6 used 30 ounces of hops, you beer won't taste nearly as hoppy.
Category 23 Subcategory A
yeah, I saw a new ALEien at the competition. His Pale Ale scored a 37 or 38 I believe, and he didn't place. It all depends on how many entries there are per category....
Christian,

Congrats on placing!

That would be my american pale ale entry. An average of 36 between the two judges. I'm new to competitions so I wasn't too sure what it usually takes to place. I entered a beer as both a Northern English Brown and an Irish Red just to see how it would be judged. It was an in-between beer. Too american in hoppiness for a red (scored a 29) and lacked maltiness needed for a brown (scored 24).

Cheers!

Matt
Now that I am back from vacation, I have to give the Lehigh Valley Homebrewers and A+ for getting the score sheets and prizes out so quickly. I have had to wait over a month or so at other competitions. I know it is a big undertaking to host a competition and it is tough to get out those score sheets and prizes after a organizing and hosting the competition. So thanks LHB.
IPA -- 28.5 (too low on hops) -- Was just too past its prime.
Witbier -- 20.5 (lack of malt/spiciness, vegetal) -- Agreed. It sucked as a witbier.
Cream Ale -- 30.5 (too hoppy bitter) -- Revisiting my IBU formula choice
Blonde Ale (same beer as cream ale) -- 23 (harsh, over carbonated, tart, contaminated?) -- ok, it's not a blonde ale then. :)

It's fun to compare the judge remarks from the Blonde Ale vs. Cream Ale. It's the same beer, but the Cream Ale judges say: "crisp, dry, malty, pleasant" and "cleanly brewed, needs recipe tweak." The Blonde ale judges say "tang indicates contamination, low malt" and "very astringent, keep it clean"

The IPA judges didn't know how to handle a beer brewed with something other than Cal Ale/1056 -- "so fruity! watch your ferment temps" (64 degrees w/ Pacific Ale yeast).

I"m not too bent out of shape about it, I just am disillusioned with playing the game of "make your beers taste like these beers". Blah.
Agreed on styles. Arrogant Bastard wouldn't win a style award. It doesn't mean it's not a good beer. Competition styles were made to give the judges something to judge against.
Congrats to everyone who placed, I scored a 39.5 with my Old Ale but didn't place.

Rick

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD

---------------