ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this year again I will pick up entries at Paul's shop (Wine, Barley & Hops) for this competition. The entry deadline is Thursday the 13th, so I will pick up entries on Wednesday the 12th about 6:00 P.M. and drop them off at Keystone in Montgomeryville the following day. Good luck to all that enter.

Rick

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff Louella took 1st place in Porter category!
Nice!
You also took 3rd in IPA.
Double nice!
Way to go Jeff!
2nd in Amber Hybrid for my California Common!
Sweet! Go ALEiens
Got my scoresheets today. Russian Imperial Stout, scored 30 body was to thin but good. Vanilla Cream Ale, scored 29.5 no hop aroma? Jesmine IPA scored 32 ( I got riped off). Imperial IPA scored 18. The judges are a bunch of Quacks! My Jesmine IPA and my IIPA are the same batch. 1 got Jesmine the other got dry hoped.
Curious... what category did you enter the Jasmine IPA in?
I am a bit skeptical about the judging myself. 51 IBU 4.6% Pale Ale...."needs more bitterness, and hop flavor & aroma". But I'm not going to ramble on about this again.
That's 51 theoretical IBU's. You never really know what your hops Alpha Acids are. If they are more than 6months to a year old, you may only get 3/4 the bitterness. You can't really tell unless you send it out to be tested.

When I make my Imperial IPA's with 18oz of hops, I get like 300+ IBU's on rager scale. I also got the same comments that "Need more hop aroma".

One things I started doing with my IPA's is to put a teaspoon or two of Gypsum into my water. Without having a water sample test done, I realize my water is good for darker beers. For IPA's the hops didn't pop. Adding the Gypsum really helped get those IBU's and aroma to come through. Now I can use 1/2 the hops and get more hop aroma and flavor.
What I think is funny is that the judges told me that I needed to tone down the hops on my Belgian IPA.

And while I know it happens, still gotta complain a little...One of my entries scored a 38.5 and didn't manage to place. I know it happens, but you still kinda look at that and go, "Huh?".(Not the Belgian IPA, my Braggot got the 38.5. The Belgian IPA scored a 30.5)

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: