ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I just brewed a California Common (Steam Beer) and when cooling the wort down, I saw some things floating in the brew. They were seeds. My only thought was my whole hops must have had a one night stand while on the vine. This is the first time I have seen this.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Did the seeds cause any off flavors? Tannins?

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found seeds in one of my batches and didn't know what the hell they were at first. I thought they had blown off the roof of my garage and into my brewpot. A few minutes later I realized they were from the hops. It was the first time I didn't use pellets (I used plugs in this case). Can't say whether they contributed any off flavors.
were the hops you used off your vines or were they bought?? i have had something i thought was seeds but they didnt look like that they were much smaller
These were bought direct from a farm. I bought them during the summer and they were from the year 2007 crop. I am guessing with the hop shortage, the farmer was like "Screw it, lets sell it". Who knows.
i could be wrong but as far as i knew the female hop plant doesnt product seeds just the cones and farmers only grow female hops cuz the males are useless... but your probably right it looks like a easy way to get the weights of the bags up but at the same time i cant imagine it putting out off flavors considering they were boiled
You are right. They do use female hop plants and there shouldn't be any seeds. But plants can sometimes be both sexes. Nature is weird and sometimes plants can pollinate themselves.

It is also a possibility that the there was a random male plant somewhere near the farm and the plants got pollinated through insects or the winds. Who knows. It was the first time I ever saw that.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------

MAY MEETING: