ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I'd like to get a group of people together to help test out some new hop styles. This is open to anyone. The plan is to get a bulk order of a new type of hop and have everyone brew with the hops. The recipes are open to whatever you want to brew, the only catch is there can only be one single hop type throughout the brew.

I'm looking to start this within the next month, so if you are interested, reply to this thread. Some of the hops we can choose are:

• Apollo
    It's like Centennial, Columbus and Amarillo had a baby (and peed on it). Emphasis is on Orange with resiny and spicy components. Make no mistake, this is a Super High Alpha, not for the squeemish. It's original name was 01051, but that just wasn't catchy, so they went with Apollo
  • Bravo
    Best I could find is that it is similar to Zeus or Nugget.
  • Citra
    Citrus, peach, apricot, passion fruit, grapefruit, lime, melon, gooseberry, lychee fruit, pineapple, mango, papaya and other tropical fruit flavors and aromas. So, ah, fruity.
  • Sorchi Ace
    A Japanese winner by all counts with its powerful lemon aroma, high bittering value and flavorful personality.
  • Summit
    Quite new on the scene (2003) but the consensus is very positive with its “peak” bittering value coupled with robust citrus notes of orange, tangerine and grapefruit. Receiving accolades as an ideal hop for the ultimate Pale Ale.
Depending on hops style and availability, we can pick up a couple pounds to and divide these up between the brewers.

Who's down?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nat, My Citra hops came in today, how much do you need? 3-3 1/2 oz for a Pale Ale should work. 11A.A. I`ll try to make it to the Firkin Thursday.
I just looked at this Bill, but I do have the hops now thanks to you!! What month are we trying to review these citra hopped beers?
I just looked at this Bill, but I do have the hops now thanks to you!! What month are we trying to review these citra hopped beers?
I believe January meeting. I brewed a Belgian Blond Saturday with the Citra.
Yes. January. I brewed an Amber ale with all my Citra. It will be like an Amber Hop Bomb.
How did everyone's Citra brew come out? We all good to bring them to the January Meeting? I brewed an American Amber Ale and think it came out damn fine. Maybe not an award winner, but a good session beer.
Ha, so I finally found some free time to brew (shhhhh I have five jobs, I'm busy) and I got to use my Citra hops!!! I brewed a pale ale with Citra hops, mixed citrus zest, and will eventually add some vanilla bean in the secondary. I used one pound of Cara Munich malt, 6.6 lbs of LME Golden light, .75 oz of the Citra three times during the boil, zest from two Temple oranges, two honey tangerines, one blood orange, a half of the grapefruit. OG is 1.055 and perking away with a cali yeast starter 001 white labs. I have two vanilla beans soaking in 2 oz vodka and will throw that into the secondary (or maybe just the bottle bucket?). Should be ready to taste by April meeting. Sorry I am so late on this... :P
I'm looking to add some citra to a reworked recipe for a double IPA. Does anyone have any left or know where I can buy a small amount?
I have 1.25 oz left if u want it...
I'm all over it. Bring it to next meeting if I can't get up there sooner? That would actually be perfect for the IPA I'm planning. I was going to put it in the last few minutes of my boil as a flavoring hop

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------

MAY MEETING: