ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I need some opinions. I'm trying to brew the Moose Drool Clone out the most recent issue of BYO, but I am converting it so the boil volume is only three gallons using the equations out of "Brewing Classic Styles. With this the addition of the malt extract is split between the beginning of the boil and the end, and then its diluted in the fermenter to bring the total volume back to five gallons. My question is regarding the late hop additions, the last addition for this recipe is at 0 mins, when should I add these hops before I add the second portion of the malt extract, or after, and if those hops sit in the kettle before I start to chill it will it dramatically change the taste of the recipe?

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't done extract in a while, but I would add my last bit of extract like 10 minutes before the end of the boil just to kill anything that might be in there (99% of the time there is nothing, but you never know).

When I add 0 minute hops, I shut the flame off, wait for the boil to stop, and then throw in the hops. I usually let the hops sit for a minute or two in the wort. Then I start cooling.

I don't think it will change flavor much. The last 5 minutes of the boil are usually aroma additions. Sine there is no boil at flame out (0 minute), none of the aroma is lost in the rolling boil. Some of that aroma is then lost in fermentation through the escaping C02 pushed out the air lock. At 0 minutes you are also extracting oils from the hops that aid in mouth feel and texture.

Hope this helps.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD

---------------