ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hello gents and ladie... i grow hops and this year i got 10 oz. im just curious how u guys use them... and how close are they to the a.a. of the hops you would get commercially

I grow horizon hops and they are some where around 12%... i want to make a black lager using only these homegrown hops im not sure about the hop additions i was thinking 1.5oz at 90 mins 1.5 at 60 min 1oz. at 30 and 1oz at flame out... im bad at the math i have no clue where this would put me ibu wise... pretty hoppy i know

i guess my question is how reliable is that 12% number and since that is a unknown is it wise to use these hops as a bittering hop or am i asking for trouble???

any input would be great... thanks guys

Dan W

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hay Dan, Horizon is a cross between Brewers Gold & Early Green Lineage. A good bittering hop, A.A.% 10-16. I would go with the lower end for a home grown. As for doing the math go to Beer Tools.com, thay have a free trial you just sign up. Good Luck Bill.
I usually use my homegrown for aroma, though the main supply I have access to is nothing but Willamette. Assuming you're making a 5 gallon batch of something like a Schwartzbier (an OG of 1.048) at a 12%aa... I did the math just to dust off the ol abacus. Rager equation comes up with 181 IBU and Tinseth says 165 if I am doing it right.

May the hops be with you!!

Cheers!

Matt
what formula did you use for that... the only one i can find asks for hop utilization which i have no way to figure out???
Hop utilization is a function of time in the boil and the gravity of the boil. I used equations from Principles of Brewing Science. The link below was one I found that gives similar numbers to the ones I found. I assume the OG asked for is the gravity at the beginning of the boil.

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/ibu.php

Cheers!

Matt
that calculator is perfect thanks for the link
Dan,
Are these first year hops? First year hops can be a lot lower ibu than you expect. I did a hoppy brown ale last year that came out way to sweet and not bitter at all. I would use them as aroma hops where IBU isn't as important, unless you don't mind sweet beer. You could always use commercial hops for main bittering to make sure you got that bitterness down.
no these are third year hops... the problem is up till now i only used them for aroma thus my concern with using them for bittering... too many unknowns

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: