ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hello all, I am new to the site/forum and also pretty new to home brewing.  My friend and I were making our third batch.  The blood orange hefeweizen from the Extreme Brewing Book by Sam from DFH.  Anyway, we finished up about 6 or 7 pm last night.  I went to check on the batch this morning right before I was leaving for work to find the cover blew off during the night.  In a panic and already late for work, i quickly inspected the lid and put it back on.  Got home around 4 pm to find the lid blown off again.   This time I washed and re-sanitized the lid and discovered the problem.  It was a very clogged air lock.  I put a new air lock back on and recovered it with the newly sanitized lid.   My first question would be is this batch a lost cause?  I have been reading around and from what I found, it seems as there still might be hope.  But i wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem.  I hope putting the lid back on this morning without re-santizing might have been a bad idea.  I also don't have an exact time the fermentor was uncovered each time.  Best guess would be a few hours each time.  I am attaching a really low-light picture i tried touching up before posting of what it looked like in the fermentor right before i put the lid back on the last time. Not sure if anyone can tell anything from it, but its worth a shot.

thanks
brent 

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it looks great - a good sign of healthy active fermentation!

Blow-offs are (usually) nothing to worry about , other than the unholy mess they leave behind. In fact some homebrewers, and quite a few professional breweries ferment in open vessels.

Naturally, you do want to clean up and put a sanitized lid and airlock back on the bucket/carboy.

Look around a bit on the web or ask for ways to make a "blow-off tube" for those first few days of fermentation. Your ceiling and walls will thank you!

Enjoy the bubbles!
thanks.....i was just concerned when i initially saw it this morning and just put the lid back on and didn't re-sanitize the lid that time. I guess I should just see how it is in a few days.
You'll be fine. Was it the best decision, not really. But don't worry. There is so much CO2 activity, probably nothing got into the brew. My experience, Hefe yeasts go a little nuts and tend to blow off a lot of lids.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------

MAY MEETING: