ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hey guys,

I checked on here to see if maybe this topic wasn't addressed, I don't think it was.  I tried my hand at my first (extract) stout.  I did a starter and after a few hours it was literally blowing the top off my flask.  I had about 1700ml of liquid in a 2l flask.  I put a blowoff on that and then cold crashed and decanted.  I brewed this past sunday and by monday morning ferm was going great.  Worried about the same problem I quickly switched out to a blowoff tube.  Now ferm has slowed to a crawl and I took a quick peek in the fermenter and it looks like the krausen has settled and ferm is almost completely done.  The airlock maybe bubbles every minute.  Am i worrying over nothing?  I've just never had a batch that has gone through it this quickly.  I know temperature isn't a problem as my basement has been in optimal conditions all week. 

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you pitch the second round of yeast? In any case, it sounds like it worked out very well, good job.

I look forward to tasting the Stout at a meeting in the not too distant future, but for now the Double White will be excellent as well! :)

-e
No I didn't repitch, b/c it seemed like ferm was going, slow, but going. So I kept it in the primary a few days longer than usual. I probably could've kept it in the secondary a few more days as well. But it was at the FG and it was pretty clear, and I had the time. So I bottled.
If there's one thing I've learned in my short brewing career, it's that time + patience shall alleviate most and nearly all concerns :)

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------

MAY MEETING: