ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hey Fellas-
I picked up a packet of dry yeast, and was told that I did not need to make a starter ("just dump it in") That seems like a bad idea to me. Should I forget what he told me and make a starter anyway? Also, would I make a dry yeast starter the same way I prepare a liquid yeast starter?

This question is in relation to the Oatmeal Stout competition, so don't sandbag me you SOB'S

Thanks guys
Craig

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You want to rehydrate the yeast. You want to float it in 100 degree water for about 15-25 minutes before pitching. Also, if you can add a special nutrient called Go-Firm to help the yeast come alive again.

I've never used the dry yeast for beer, but I have for my wines, meads, and ciders. I have just thrown them in and everything worked fine. But taking a little more care will help those billions of little beasts that are making your beer.

Here's what John Palmers book says to do: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html
No starter needed, but I would hehydrate as Jeff said. Just pitching without rehydrating can stress the yeast out and cause problems with your fermentation. The cell membrane of the yeast needs water before it tries to pull sugars across it.

Also, doing a starter can be bad for dry yeast too. When it's packaged, it's already got everything it needs, minus the water, to start fermenting your wort. If you do a starter, it can cause the yeast to use up all of their stored nutrients and energy so they can start working on the starter wort,which leaves them in bad shape to ferment your real wort. This can also lead to a weak fermentation and off flavors.

I'd just rehydrate and skip the starter.
Good info boys- When I win the contest I will buy you each a beer with my Humeville gift certificate.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD

---------------

JUN MEETING: