ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

hello guys, i wanted to brew a oak aged black ipa... now i never dry hopped or used wood before ( thus the appeal of this brew :) any tips or suggestions... im mostly concerned with the timing on when to add and remove the stuff 3 days 5 days or more??? and how much wood to use??? any input would be greatly appreciated

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've made a couple Oaked IPA's, so I have some insight.

First, Dry Hopping. I usually rack the beer into a secondary about 5 days into fermentation. You want the fermentation to slow but not stop. This way the active yeast will eat up any of the oxygen contained in the hops. Dry hop for 5 - 10 day. Too long and you may extract green flavors.

As for Oak, I have used both Light and Medium American chips. I think for an American IPA, American Oak makes sense. I used 1 oz for 1 week (while dry hopping) and in batch 2 I used 2 oz for 1 week (while dry hopping). Both came out good. The one with 2 oz took about 6 weeks to mend together. I would do with the medium toast for the Black IPA.
was gonna do med toast and was thinking 2 oz for 6 days while dry hopping...do you boil your wood chips first or just toss them in???

DW
I've done an oak aged IPA a couple of times before. I wouldn't suggest boiling the oak chips. I tried that once, and I saw all the color, and presumably flavor and aroma, going into the water, and thusly down the drain. The last time I used oak chips I gave them an overnight soak in some bourbon to sanitize them. You could even use vodka if you're worried about it effecting the taste of your beer.

I also usually leave it on the oak for at least 2 weeks. I like to maximize the contact time with the wood. As far as I know it can take months for wine to pick up enough oak character when it's kept in barrels, so I figure that the more time my beers sits on a few oak chips the better. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to work for me.
do you use a bag with the chips or just float them???
I just put them into the carboy without a bag. They don't really float, they sink to the bottom. At least from what I've seen. When it's time to remove the chips, I use a carboy/bottle washer. It blasts them out without too much fuss.
I steam my chips. I place a boiling pot of water with a strainer over top that doesn't touch the water. then place the lid on top. I steam for 15 minutes to sanitize. I also heard people add them to water and put in the microwave. Heat for like 5 minutes or so, then let cool. Then pour the water and chips in.
thanks for all your input fellas i will bring samples to a meeting when its done to see if your input helped :)

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: