ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

So I hope I didn't screw my brew up too much.  I just dry hopped into my carboy and I wound up having to handle the hop plugs b/c they were too wide to fit in the mouth of the carboy.  I cut them in half and then got them in the (sanitized) bag and put in the carboy.  I didn't put marbles in the bag so it's kind of floating but I think the majority of the plugs are in the beer.  So since the bag isn't weighed down like my last dry hop beer, should I keep it in the secondary an extra week to make up for it?  Also does anyone think I may have ruined the beer b/c I handled those hop plugs too much?

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THX. I DRY HOPPED BEFORE AND IT IS A PITA, THAT WAS W/ WHOLE HOPS IN A BAG W/ MARBLES. I HAD BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE LONG TUBULAR BASKET THINGS BUT THEN REALIZED THE PLUGS WERE TOO BIG TO FIT IN. I'VE NEVER LEFT A BREW IN THE SECONDARY FOR A WHILE SO MAYBE THIS WILL BE THE ONE I DO THAT WITH.
Even in secondary, there is CO2 in the fermented beer and will keep the bag a float. There is no easy way to dry hop with Whole/Plug hops. I just throw them in, the put a screen on my racking cane when i am siphoning out. Pellet hops eventually sink and the beer is easier to siphon with out a screen.

How long to dry hop is another matter. Depending on the temp, you can go longer. Eventually you are not introducing Hop Aroma and Oils anymore and you start pulling tannins and "green" grassy flavors. I don't dry hop more than 10 days and tend to only do 5 days. At that time, I feel all the aroma and oils are the brew. If I double dry hops, I throw first batch in for 5 days. Leave them in there. Throw the next batch in 5 days later. Then 10 total days I remove the beer from the dry hops.

Hope this helps.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------