ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hey everyone,

I'm giving a coffee porter a second try and wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas for using the coffee.  The last batch I did a cold extract method where I put grinds in water overnight in the fridge and then added at the end of the boil.  The result tasted good but had a muted coffee flavor.  I'm looking to get more coffee flavor this time around. I  was thinking of using the same method and then doing a second step of "dry hopping" cracked coffee beans in the secondary for a few days.  Thoughts?

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I threw the coffee in at flameout, with good results (but could have used more coffee methinks)

Also, if you do that, I strongly recommend some kind of bag/filter to keep the coffee grinds in - they create a lot more "gruff" than you really want....
I did a double coffee chocolate stout. I threw the first round of coffee in at flame out, but I let the beer temp get down to about 195F - 200F. That's the temperature they say a French Press should be at. Then I also did the cold steep overnight in the fridge for the secondary addition.
how much coffee did you add at flameout? And what method was used? did you do like Elvind and what I'm assuming was "steep" the grains at flameout for a few minutes?
Hey Tom. Was just reading about the coffee porter and was wondering how your second batch turned out? Im thinking about doing something like this in january.
Better than the first.  Still not where I want it but it's drinkable.  I think the Kona Coffee I used was on the mild side and the body isn't what I was hoping. 

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: