ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Anyone have a suggestion for a Hard (sparkling) Cider recipe?

My friend has a ton of apples that we're going to press, but I want to make sure it doesn't end up too dry and has an "interesting" flavor profile...

I'm torn between using Champagne yeast or some other more "dedicated" to the style, but I'm also wondering what else to throw in there for the right amount of sweetness, aroma, etc.

Jeff, I saw your Agave & Honey cider recipe - how did that experimental batch turn out?

Thanks!

-e

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used the White Labs English Cider Yeast. I think the agave made it come out plasticy. Mine was pretty dry and not carbonated, but here is what I would do.

Have the yeast ferment out. Apples are really fermentable, so it may get dry. Once fermentation is done, have a quick taste to see if it is sweet as you like. if it needs to be sweeter, add potassium sorbate to the cider to prevent the yeast from fermenting more. Then add some regular cider back to sweeten it up. The issue with this approach is that you can't bottle condition then to make it sparkling. You may want to add Pectic Enzymes to the cider to help it clearing. I just had mine sit in a fridge for a month and it cleared.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

FEB MEETING:

2/26/2019

Multi / Split Batch Brews

---------------

MAR MEETING:

3/26/2019

BJCP Judging / Tasting Session + Officer Elections

---------------

APRIL MEETING: