ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

My coffee porter is in the fermentor in my basemant and I've noticed the temp creeping up the past few days.  Now it's at abotu 74 which is hight but I'm hoping not too high to ruin it.  Without having a refrig. to chill it in, does anyone have any suggestions?  I thought maybe having it on the floor instead of on a milk crate may pull it down a few.  I also thought I had heard you can put the fermentor in a keg bucket cold water and then put a towel over it, and the towel soaks up the water? 

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How many days has it been fermenting? Likely nothing to worry about. It's not uncommon for brewers to increase the temp a little towards the end, it keeps the yeast active and helps it "clean up" after itself.

Check the temp range of the yeast you're using, and unless you're outside that by several degrees, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

But, putting it on a cool floor will likely help lower the temp by a degree or three

-e
it's london ale yeast, which it says shouldn't go above 71, so I may give it some off flavor. But guess we'll see.
Most of those off flavors (Esters, Fusels) are created in the first 48 hours. When i brew, I try to keep the temp consistent for the first 2-3 days, then I let the brew temp rise. If I start at 67f-68f, I raise it up to 72f-74f slowly over the next couple days. This keeps the yeast active and happy.

If you would drop the temp back down during this time, the yeast may think "It's getting cold now, let's stop fermenting and drop out". Any temp changes should be slow. About a couple of degrees a day.
Yeah, the first few days it was steady at 68. It was only after like the 5th day, with this intense heat. Which is odd b/c I've never had this problem before even in the middle of the summer. Getting it too cool i don't think is a problem, unless the outside temp drops to the mid 70's.

The temp change may have helped it. I notice it seemed to be slowing down and i took a reading. It was nowhere near my target and that was staying at around 68-70. It was at 1.040 and my final should be about 1.012 or so. After it heated up it, the yeast seemed to become more active. My last reading was at 1.014 and that was with the temperature adjustment. so I'll double check that again and transfer today or tomorrow.

I know I just need to DWRHAHB

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------