ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Hey gang. So I am going to rack my Pseudo kriek to the secondary in the upcoming few days and I am realizing I know nothing about produce. What kind of cherries should I use? What kind of cherries would even be available to me right now? Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe you will need Sour Cherries. Not sure what is available though. Maybe go to a produce store like Produce Junction or a large supermarket like Wegmans. I know there are local cherry growers too, but don't know about the seasons. For me, locally grown are usually freshest and best.

You could always use the Oregon Cherry Puree. I don't know what type of Cherries are in it though. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/oregon-cherry-puree.html
Martin, I was a certified PHT for ten years (a beer the first person to know what that is, no google cheating) and know a decent amount about produce. You are a little late in the season for fresh local cherries. You maybe able to find some at any of the larger supermarkets that Jeff mentions but you will be paying a premium (due to being shipped form where they are in season(Turkey or Iran if I remember correctly)) but may not necessarily get the best quality.

I know that you used to be able to get sour cherry concentrate. Not sure how that would work for brewing.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: