ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Who's going and/or entered beers? What did you enter?

I have a Bourbon Stout and an Amer. Brown Ale entered. I was also going to enter a big Amber Ale, but upon filling my 2nd bottle, the keg kicked. Weak!

Good luck to everyone!

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

put an American IPA and Pale in.. Anyone going up?
I put in the Berliner Weisse that I brought to May's meeting and the Big Brewday Hefe. I'm hoping to be able to make it to the awards ceremony. I'm trying to talk the wife into going with me, I think she's starting to come around. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys down there tomorrow night.
I've got 6 in...

Blonde Ale
Weizen/Weissbier
Witbier
Robust Porter
Spice/Herb/Veg (Chocolate Hazelnut Porter)
Common Cider

Unfortunately, I can't make it down there.
Sam, I'm a big fan of your Chocolate Hazelnut Porter. I wish I could find something comparable at the store!
The recipe is in Brewing Classic Styles; this batch was my first attempt. I did 10 gallons that only yielded about 8 after fermentation (lots of chocolate "pudding" settled out in the fermenter). The hazelnut extract was added after I kegged the beer. It's really powerful stuff! I thought I ruined a keg of it by adding too much extract until it dawned on me that I could blend it back with the other keg (which I hadn't added extract to yet). Took some trial and error to dial it in. Not sure how well it will do. I'm interested in getting some feedback from the judges.

One thing about cocoa powder... It's a mess. I kicked a keg last week and soaked it in OxiClean for two days. Usually after a soak like that, I can just rinse the keg out with hot water and I'm good to go. Not this time. I inspected the keg with a flashlight and noticed there was a light "dusting" of cocoa powder all over the interior. Only way I could get it clean was to get in there and scrub it off. What a pain!
I entered 8 or 9. 1 may get the lowest score ever. If anyone goes, try to post some names of winners to the board. I am away and can't make it.
ok, I just got back from the Buzz Off. The guy announcing the winners was really tough to hear, so I don't know if I got everything. Jeff Louella took a first place with a RIS. I took a third place with the Berliner Weiss. I didn't get anything else. I hope that some more of us placed, but I couldn't hear well enough to say.
damn, the suspense builds! If anyone see's the results on the buzzoff site, definitely post 'em!
I have 2 an Imperial Stout and early Hefe. Can`t make to the comp. Have a birthday to go to. Granddaughter 1 year old. Good luck to all!
Hmm, still waiting. I know the site says "scores will be posted within 48 hours", but this is taking forever. If we hold our competition, I plan on having the scores up that night. The people want to see the scores and it's now Monday. O well. Dave just has me pumped up with his comments.
nice going jeff! Have you brought the RIS to the meetings before?
Yeah, Last year sometime. It is my Russian American Imperial Stout. I have the recipe posted. It took a little while to mellow and evolve. Only negative, I am not sure how much I have left in the keg now. I need bottle it all off so I can see how far this brew will take me. I do need to rebrew it soon.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD

---------------

JUN MEETING: