ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I brewed 10 gallons of the big brew Hefe. Since my fermentation fridge only holds 1 carboy, I have one carboy under temp control and one just sitting next to it in the basement.

As of this morning both were fermenting very nicely, but you can see the difference between the 2.

The one not in the fridge is fermenting between 70-72 degrees. My basement is only about 64 degrees, but the fermentation is intense and I guess it is raising the temperature. The Krausen has exploded and the blow off tube is in full effect. The blow off bucket has an intense about of bubbling going through it.

The carboy under temp control is also going very well. But the fermentation is quieter. The krausen is about an inch thick. It is fluffy white and still an inch or so away from the blow off tube. The bubbling in the blow off bucket is steady ticking, but not to violent.

It will be interesting to taste the difference between the two at the June Meeting.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mine was kind of stinky too. I cleaned out the blow off buckets from the initial crazy fermentation and the smell has calmed down a little. I have read that the yeast can put off some sulfur, but it should clear up in a couple days.
Yeah, I guess it'll be fine... just surprised me a little. The other thing is that this is the first time I'm fermenting in a fridge. When my previous batch was fermenting in the basement, there was plenty of space for the aromas to dissipate so I probably didn't notice as much.
That could be the case. You have a whole brew stand and this is the first time fermenting in a fridge?
First time for this beer... The other times I brewed it, my basement was at 58 degrees and I had a fermwrap on to bring it up to 62.
ah, gotcha. The one I have in the fridge is still chugging. It did get a vigorous fermentation, but about 24 hours after the other carboy that was out in the open. It was fermenting 8 hours into it, but it was a calm and controlled fermentation compared to the one not under temp control.

It will be real interesting to taste the differences between my 2 hefes, let alone everyone else's.

I will be entering them both in the 2009 Buzz Off. That should be a good indicator of which one is more to style. If all the ALEiens submit their Hefes to the Buzz off, we could win that whole category outright.
Looks like they had 12 in the Weizen category last year (Table 22 - Weizen) and their biggest category was APAs with 18.
We have at least 10 Hefes we can enter.
This is what my Hefeweizen Fermentation looked like the morning after the big brew.

http://www.aleiens.com/video/hefe-fermentation

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD

---------------