ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

ALEiens Big Brew Anniversary Day

Saturday, May 7, 2011: Mash in time is 9am for all-grain brewers.

Weyerbacher will be providing us with "American Ale" yeast, Wyeast 1272.  We have our list of brewers that are participating below.  If anyone cannot make it or decides not to brew, please let us know so others can brew.  If you are not brewing that day, you are still welcome to come get some free yeast and brew at your convenience and enter your beer in the competition.  

This year's challenge is to come up with a Weyerbacher-worthy brew.  This means it needs to be above 7%, be bold and full of flavor!  The American Homebrewer's Association's suggested brews this year are an East India Pale Ale and a Robust Porter.  So blending Weyerbacher and AHA, you get to use American Ale yeast to brew one of these brews with an abv above 7%.  There are suggested recipes on the AHA site or feel free to use your own.  (I know the East India Pale Ale recipe calls for Burton or London yeast, but we will fudge that a bit)  

Again, everyone is invited to come hang out, eat, observe, and drink that day! 

Beers will be due and judged at the June 28th meeting by a panel of Weyerbacher judges.

BREWERS:
1. Natalie & Joe DeChico
2. Jeff Louella
3. Eivind
4. Eivind's Neighbor & Relative
5. Christian Mosebach
6. Steve Hulse & Bill Schools
7. Will Rogers
8. Andy Groll
9. Craig Walter
10. Bill Burton
11. Bill Carpenter

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im not sure of the set up at the H-vill. I am guessing to bring your own brew water. What about hoses for wort chillers. Any idea?
Hoses and electricity are provided, we all use those without problems.
I wanted to check in to see if everyone on the Big Brew Day list will still be brewing with us this Saturday.  If not, please post so others can join.  Saturday is approaching fast so get all of you ingredients together.  I am excited to hear about some Weyerbacher-worthy brews!!!  Don't forget, if you aren't brewing you are still invited to come hang out all day and are also welcome to take home some yeast.  Just bring a mason jar or other sealed container with you!  See you all there around 9am (YIKES, too early!!)!!
Hello Everyone and thank you for making Big Brew Day, year 3, a success!  We had beautiful weather AGAIN this year and some beautiful, fluffy yeast from Weyerbacher to help our brews along.  It sounds like everyone had a quick start to their fermentation with their donated yeast so I'm looking forward to some great brews.  I hope everyone enjoyed themselves this past Saturday and learned some new things from fellow brewers.  I know I learned a few things about Iodine... ha!  A BIG THANKS to The Hulmeville Inn, Wine, Barley and Hops, and Weyerbacher for making our 3rd anniversary a success!  Good luck to all those entering beer for the June 28th meeting!
Did you get a chance to see the iodine turn black? I did the experiment on a tortilla chip when I got home & got the expected results. I'll share a pic or vid with you on Facebook if you'd like. If I can figure it out I'd be willing to post it here too if anyone wants to see it.
If anyone has photos, post them here. I would love to see some.

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

JUN MEETING:

6/30/2020

TBD

---------------

JUL MEETING:

7/28/2020

TBD

---------------

AUG MEETING: