ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

So here is an idea for a new ALEiens competition that could take place over several months. The ALEiens Iron Brewer Competition would be set-up bracket style and people would be paired off in the brackets. Each person would pick a mystery ingredient and they would be brewing against one other person who also picked that mystery ingredient.

They would have a month to brew and package that beer to be presented at the next month's meeting. The beers would be served blind and everyone would vote for which beer they thought would be a better beer that showcases that mystery ingredient.

Then all the winners would advance to the next round of the brackets and everyone draws new mystery ingredients. Then this process goes on until there is only one.......the highlander, I mean Iron Brewer.

Obviously, a few details would need to be ironed out (no pun intended) such as how many people would be participating in this and all the different ingredients to choose from. But, I think this could be pretty fun.

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree and like this idea. Would you mind putting together a preliminary sheet with rules, brackets, and possible ingredients? May be a great idea for some small batch brewing.
Yeah, I'll put some sample brackets, rules, and ingredients together. The ingredients can always be modified of course before the competition. The brackets would change depending on how many people would like to enter as well. Another thing to keep in mind, there is only 1 month to ferment and package this beer, so it might favor light to moderate strength beers, in terms of conditioning time, and it will probably favor people who keg since they can force carbonate. Thats not to say bottle condition brewers cant do it. I don't have a whole lot of experience bottle conditioning, so that is up the the discretion of each individual brewer.
I think I may do it in Pepsi bottles. :) 2 liter batches. Hook it up to the carb cap.
Great suggestion. I am in! :) Can't wait for the mystery meat!

The format is reminiscent of another tournament that takes place this summer - the FIFA 2010 World Cup, in which England meets the USA on June 12th.

-e
Bring it! U.S.A. :)
eeengerland, eeengerland!
The Garage Brewers Society is currently doing this exact thing. Check out some of our ingredients and recipes at www.garagebrewers.com. You can also listen to an interview at http://www.basicbrewing.com about our experiences.
I heard about it on the podcast and Iron Hill was doing something similar. It will be roughly based on those competitions.
Good luck to you guys! I know our club has had a blast doing it so far.
The idea is great - one month is an awfully short time to produce and condition good beer...
If one month is too short, perhaps announce the beers two months in advance.. Announce one at the first meeting, and two meetings later, judge it.
the rules aren't in stone yet...........2 months then? That would allow enough time for bottle-conditioners too. Anymore ideas/suggestions?

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD

---------------

JUN MEETING: