ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

tell me if this makes sense:

9.5lbs of grain (6.5 pils, 2.5 munich, .5lb torrified)
Collected 6.5 gallons.
Gravity of wort (pre-boil) = 1.051

6.5 * 51 = 331.5
331.5 / 9.5 = 34.8 gravity points per pound?!

That comes out to 96% efficiency if divided by 36 (max gravity points according to Palmer).

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's super efficient.

I wonder if having that high of efficiency pull out any other flavors of the grains. I think Palmer was saying when you are in the 90% efficiency range, you start to pull the "grain" flavor out. I guess depending on style, that may be a plus.

I think I will be removing my bazooka style screen for a manifold soon. I think it will help pull the sugars more evenly.
Your calculations are right. (I get 94% in Promash with max gravity points = 37.)

In my system, this wouldn't make sense... I've got my eff. dialed in to about 76%. If I got something unexpected, like in the 90's, I'd assume a measurement problem. Two placed to look... hydrometer and volume. Just being off by a quart can throw your calculated efficiency off by a few percentage points.

Did your OG measurement jive with your pre-boil measurement? That is, if you boiled off a gallon, your post-boil gravity should've be around 1.060 (331.5 / 5.5 = 60).
Post boil ended up being 1.058 I think. I'm boiling on a stove though at max capacity (6.5 gallons in 7gal pot).

I have a false bottom screen and I fly sparge. I sparged with 168F water and I stood there constantly moving the sparge hose all across the top so the water is distributed evenly.

Also, I should note that I mashed at 145 for 90 minutes and 156 for 30 minutes. This is a saison.

My last 5 beers have been over 85% efficiency. I don't know how to dial it down. I don't want to leech too much grain flavor out as Jeff mentioned -- I've heard that as well.
The easiest way to dial in your efficiency is to adjust the gap on your mill (assuming you crush your own grain.) That's how I did it. I used a feeler gauge to set the gap in my mill and noted the date and efficiency right on the side of it.

If you're not crushing your own grain, maybe you could try increasing the rate at which you fly sparge. Or, probably not what you want to do... but maybe change your process up completely by batch sparging.
I wish I could get that good of efficiency, I think the best I've ever gotten was 73%. I batch sparge, I normally average around 70/71% though......
I normally get 70-75%. I am going to switch from my stainless bazooka style braid to a manifold. Someone posted directions for the cooler I have, so I downloaded them and attached to this post.
Attachments:

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------