ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

I used the 50-Ft Immersion Chiller my wife gave me for Christmas. It cooled 5 gallons of wort down to 75 degrees in about 5 minutes!

It was taking me over a 40 minutes to cool it down before (10 minutes sitting after the boil, 10 minutes in an ice bath in a tub outside, 30 minutes in an ice bath inside while stirring with an ice wand.

This is a great addition to my brewing gear.

Views: 397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah mine works great too and i love it... does anyone use the plate chillers or the counter flow chillers i was curious how well these worked and which is more effective
Both counter flow and and plate chillers work great from what I hear. They do have some issues though. They are tough to clean is one.

You could create a whirlpool chiller with your 50' immersion chiller. I first heard of this from Jamil Zainasheff. http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

You can drop temps really quick and whirpool at the same time. This way you can minimize break material in your beer.

Push Eject also has plans on how he built MyloFiore's Jamil-O-Chiller.

Our very own Sam Scott built one of these guys and brought it to a meeting last year when I was away on a business trip. He can probably post to photos of his to this thread.
I'm hoping to convert my system to jamil's whirlpool sometime this year. My immersion chiller takes about 45-50 minutes to cool down to ale temperatures left to it's own.
I took some video of my chiller in action. I'll post it when I get a chance. I cooled 11 gallons from 210°F down to 110°F in 7 minutes 30 seconds (tap water was about 53°F).

Click to enlarge...

Here's the video... Immersion Chiller with Recirc

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

APR MEETING:

4/28/2020

TBD

---------------

MAY MEETING:

5/26/2020

TBD