ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

Some of these annual BBL increases are a real testament to what is referred to as a craft revolution!

Cheers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/top-20-craft-breweries_n_1...

Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wait. Yuengling had more sales than Boston Beer this year. It was close. So why is Yuengling not on this list? Is it not Craft Beer?  I can argue it is not different than Shiner Bock and they are on the list. 

http://adage.com/article/news/d-g-yuengling-son-america-s-largest-b...

According to new estimates from Beer Marketer's Insights, Yuengling surged last year with shipments up 16.9% to 2.5 million barrels, placing it eighth in overall U.S. market share, at 1.2%. That was good enough to nose by Boston, which grew by 8% to 2.4 million barrels, dropping to ninth place. Boston owns the Sam Adams brand.

Beer Marketer's stressed that the numbers are estimates and that Boston Beer hasn't yet reported its own fourth-quarter figures. But "we felt reasonably comfortable," in the rankings, said Eric Shepard, executive editor of the trade pub. "It's possible that [Boston] had a huge December, but I don't expect it."

Hey - what do I know - I saw this report and was focused on the brewers with over 15% growth in BBL's.

My list would knock-off several of these so-called "craft" brewers.

Sam's makes Twisted Tea, which should disqualify them immediately.

So I searched and of course BeerAdvocate has a ton of posts on the matter and if Yuengling is craft beer.

""Yuengling" is brewery which makes a number of beers (I guess 7 now, including the seasonal bock?) none of which fall into the Brewers Association's definition of craft beer, so regardless of size and their new membership, they aren't a "craft brewery" by the BA's definition (yet). 

Most of Yuengling's beers pre-date the craft era and fit into that older era's styles (adjunct light lager, low calorie "light beer", bottom fermented adjunct golden ale, bottom fermented adjunct "Pennsylvania porter", plus a "Black and Tan" and a bock which are blends of two of their other beers, etc.). Only the relatively recent Traditional Lager (far and away it's flagship now) is unusual compared to standard pre-craft beer styles, but it's use of corn as an adjunct would logically disqualify it as "craft beer".

As a side note- to me, "BMC" is to be taken literally- and means only A-B and (now) M-C. "Macro" means them and possibly Pabst. I suppose one could call any traditional US style adjunct light lager (Genesee, Utica Club, Lionshead, etc) "BMC-like" but it confuses things- why not just call 'em "US light lagers"?"

yeah, it's probably disqualified because it's generally considered more of a "regional" brewery than a "micro" brewery and they use adjuncts.  I don't understand how that separates it from Shiner, but whatevs.  Maybe the largest American-owned brewery is automatically disqualified for its size (but Sam Adams is available like everywhere, and Yeungling is just mid-atlantic, florida, and ohio).

i mean, the history of american brewing is filled with the use of adjuncts (so is belgian, but I guess they get a free pass for never inventing budweiser).

I guess I'm curious mostly about their definition of craft brewer.  What separates a regional brewer from a craft brewer and how do you make a definition work that includes more peculiar regional beers (like the comparable Shiner Bock and Yuengling Lager) while excluding AB and Miller Coors?  Should they even be excluded from a list like this if they are precipitously losing their market share anyway?

RSS

AUGUST MEETING:

BERLINER WEISSE

8/26/14

Time: 7:30pm

Hulmeville Inn

----------------

SEPTEMBER MEETING:

SLY FOX 360!

9/30/14

----------------

OCTOBER MEETING: