Malt Madness is an American Homebrewers Association sanctioned competition and provides you an opportunity to have your homemade beer, cider, and mead evaluated by BJCP registered judges. Prizes and awards will be given for beers placing first, second, and third in each category, and for Best of Show. The 2008 revision of the BJCP guidelines will be used for this event. The competition will be held on Saturday, August 29th at the Allentown Brew Works, in Allentown PA. Judges and stewards should be there at 9:00AM. We plan to announce the winners of Malt Madness and make presentations of awards after 4:30PM. The exact time of the awards announcement will depend on the number of entries and judges. The actual competition is not open to spectators, please feel free however, to stop by the brewery and enjoy a pint or two while awaiting the results.
Competition Guidelines and Entry Requirements
Competition Entry Drop-Off Locations
Keystone Homebrew Supply
- Malt Madness (beer/cider/mead) is open to all home brewers.
- All beers or meads must be non-commercial in nature and produced at home.
- The entry period is from August 1st through August 13th, 2009. Due to the size and nature of this event, entries will not be accepted after the August 13th deadline.
- Judges and Stewards who plan on attending the competition may bring their entries with them on the day of the competition, provided the paperwork and entry fee is received by the deadline.
- The entry fee is $6 for the first entry, and $5 for each of the brewer's subsequent entries accompanying the first. All checks should be made payable to club treasurer, Scott Minnich.
- Submit two 10-16 ounce bottles for each entry.
- Bottles may be brown or green glass, and must be free of any labels, raised glass designs, etched logos, or other identifying marks. Swing tops are acceptable.
- A completed entry form must accompany each entry, recipes are optional. If entering more than one entry, make sure the correct entry form accompanies each entry.
- A bottle ID form must be attached to each bottle with a rubber band.
- Categories and subcategories may be combined for judging purposes, however beers or meads will be judged according to the category/subcategory in which they are entered. The style guidelines for each category and subcategory are located here.
- It is the responsibility of the brewer to decide and indicate on the entry form the appropriate category and sub-category for their entry.
- Entries which do not meet these entry requirements may be disqualified.
- Depending on the number of entries and category distribution, categories and subcategories may be combined or separated for judging and awards purposes. These judging table breakdowns will not be available prior to the competition and will be determined by the competition committee once all entries
have been processed.
- Any disputes that arise before, during or after the competition will be settled by the competition committee.
- All Judges and Stewards are requested to arrive by 9:00 AM on the day of the competition. Results will be announced as soon as Best of Show results are in.
- Brewer feedback is the primary purpose of Malt Madness. Your score sheets will be returned to you shortly after the contest. Please do not send an SASE with your entry.
779 Bethlehem Pike (Rt. 309)
Montgomeryville, PA 18936
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (contact Jason)
599 Main Street (Main Street Commons Building)
Bethlehem, PA 18018
e-mail: email@example.com (contact Judy)
Home Sweet Homebrew
2008 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (contact George or Nancy)