ALEiens Homebrew Club

Spreading the Joys of Home Brewing Throughout Philadelphia and the Universe!

So I've had my brown ale in the primary for just over 2 weeks now. I
took a sample last night to take a reading and dropped my hydrometer
which shattered all over the kitchen floor...wonderful.

I'm wondering if I'm safe to rack to a secondary? I'm still getting
bubbling every 1-2 minutes from the blow-off tube which seems odd to me
but could just be excess CO2. I was planning on racking to a secondary
and adding some coffee. Am I pretty much all clear to do so?

I'm away for the weekend and can't get another hydrometer and was just curious because this is for a competition and I want to make sure it's ready in time.

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unless you have a hydrometer reading, it's not easy to tell whether you're close to or have reached your target gravity.

But, since it's only a matter of 2-3 days, the likely additional drop in points at this stage will be minimal, so if you're worried about time to the competition, you can go ahead and rack it now.
Thanks for the advice.

I checked another homebrew forum and a couple of people suggested just throwing my coffee into the primary and skipping the secondary altogether. Any thoughts on this method?
I've never done coffee in neither primary or secondary, but I think some other folks here have done so successfully
I just bottled a coffee beer that I put coffee in at the end of the boil and then in the secondary. I used a rought grind and put it in an infuser wrapped with hop bag. I definately think it helped kick the flavor up compared to the last version I did w/o coffee in the secondary. The coloring was good too b/c I got minimal coffee muck in the beer using the infuser/hop bag. I had intended only having the coffee in for a few days, but the chain on the infuse broke dropping it to the bottom of the carboy. So it wound up in there for a week and I don't think there were any ill effects. If you're using a stronger coffee (I was coffee direct from Kona, on the medium-mild side), maybe only a few days would be better.
The only reason I used the infuser was I thought it would be easier to get in/out of the carboy. Then the chain broke
I very rarely use a secondary. My main fermentation is usually done within 7 days and if I add something like coffee, i add it right into the primary. Where you need a secondary is if you are aging for a while (like over a month) or possibly Dry Hopping since yeast can strip out hop aromas.

I tend to ferment out for a week, cold crash for 2-3 days (if you have a dedicated fridge), then keg (or bottle). Nothing is happening in secondary besides yeast settling out and that will happen in a primary. Moving the beer offers extra chances of oxidation and contamination and if not careful can actually harm the beer.

A little secret. I actually lagered my last winning beer in the primary for over a month. I was lazy and never took it off the yeast. It still came out delicious.
so it's really only good if you can cold crash? Otherwise as long as your clean and sanitary a secondary is the way to go?
Thanks for the help guys. Decided against racking to the secondary and threw the coffee right in earlier. Here's a little right up if anyone is that interested: http://hopsandcircumstance.blogspot.com/2010/11/adventures-in-homeb...

RSS

UPCOMING MEETINGS

---------------

MAR MEETING:

CANCELLED!!!

---------------

APR MEETING:

3/31/2020

IRON BREWER X RD. 2

Hands on Beer Judging

---------------

MAY MEETING: